I came to photography with some seriousness when I was in my late fifties. I had studied fine arts many years before, and in fact graduated with a BFA. But in art school my media were pencils and paints, not film, and I had never felt that I could fully express myself in either. So I took a different route: I worked in hospitals and modelled for art schools; I cooked for fancy gourmet shops and for wealthy families in England; I traveled around and for a time lost track of myself; and finally, I returned home. Found steady work. Bought a house. Made a career.
And then in later in life I picked up a camera and I discovered my voice.
Ruth Steinberg is an Ottawa based fine arts photographer. She holds a BFA from the University of Manitoba (1975), an MA in Applied Linguistics from Carleton University (1999) and graduated from the two year Portfolio Program at the School of the Photographic Arts Ottawa ( 2014). Ruth was the Artist in Residence, Short-term Projects at Enriched Bread Artists in Ottawa, ON during the fall of 2014, where she produced the award-winning series What the Body Remembers. Ruth was also one of seven emerging photographers recognized in 2017 by the recipients of Ottawa's prestigious Karsh Award as part of Ottawa's Canada 150 celebrations. In 2019 Rfotofolio jurist Fran Forman chose Ruth as a Rfotofolio Selections artist for her photo series about her mother.
- Comfortable in his Own Skin solo show; Enriched Bread Artists, Ottawa ON, May 2019
- Self Portrait group show, juried by Aline Smithson, PhotoPlace Gallery, Middlebury VT, Jan 2019
- 2018 Figureworks group show, St. Brigid's Centre for the Arts, Ottawa ON, November 2018
- Julia Margaret Cameron fine art nude selection; Barcelona Foto Biennale; Space Nau Bostik, Barcelona, Spain, October 2018
- Feminine Redux; works by Ruth Steinberg and Lori Brethour Coulter, Studio 66, Ottawa ON, June 2018
- Celebrating Women; group show, juried by Joyce Tenneson, PhotoPlace Gallery, Middlebury VT, May 2018
-foundations/futures; group show, Studio 66, Ottawa ON. Jan 2018
- Articulations; group show, Studio 66, Ottawa ON, Nov 2017
- CONTINUUM: An exhibition of emerging artists selected by past winners of the Karsh Award, Karsh-Masson Gallery, September 2017, Ottawa, Canada.
- Intimate Portraits; group show, juried by Joyce Tenneson, Photo Place Gallery, Middlebury Vermont, April 2017
- Pas de Deux/Tango; solo show, Atrium Gallery, Ottawa, Feb 2017
- Paysage, Darkroom Gallery, Essex Vermont, February 2017
- Portraits for Jacques Brel, Gladstone Theatre, Ottawa, Nov 2016
-Transience, on-line exhibition, L. A. Photo Curator, Los Angeles, Sept 2016
- Reveal, Darkroom Gallery, Essex Vermont, August 2015
- What the Body Remembers, Artist Talk, Studio Sixty Six, Ottawa, April 2015
- Développé, National Arts Centre, Ottawa, Sept 2014
- Exhibit #9, Red Wall Gallery, Ottawa, April 2014
- Unseen, La Petite Mort Gallery, Ottawa, March 2014
- Exhibit #8, Red Wall Gallery, Ottawa, April 2013